Thursday 26 November 2009

Evidence-Based Teaching



Last week a learner left the session saying "I hope I'll be able to remember!". She'd learnt to crochet. I saw her in town and discussed it and offered to show her again, we could film the demonstration and then I'd be able to put it on to CD for her to watch at home. I've thought of doing this several times, have never got round to it, here was a great opportunity, and since I'd said I'd do it for her, I'd have to!

Yesterday evening I looked at clips on youtube to remind myself of crochet techniques - since I was being filmed I'd have to get it right and I taught myself to crochet that way two years ago. I found an excellent link, very clear instructions indeed, I wrote down the link to give to my learners.

As I unpacked materials this morning I discovered my camera was very low on battery - mmm. I'd promised to do this! My learner arrived with a huge smile on her face and pulled out of her bag what she'd done at home - evidence that she'd learnt very well and more! No need to demonstrate again - phew!

Has anyone else ever had problems uploading photos onto this Blog? I never had until now, I'd wanted to upload a photo of some fabulous crochet samples done by my learner but that's not going to happen - I think my computer is very slow because it can't cope with all the photos and video clips it's storing! I'm having the same difficulty with Flickr - can't upload photos onto Flickr either at the moment.

I reflected on what I'd intended to do - why re-invent the wheel? I'd found some excellent clips on Youtube - mine were never going to be as good - why make extra work for myself?!

3 comments:

Gill said...

It's interesting you write this Lizzie, because another organisation I work with has discovered exactly the same - what's the point in spending time and money building a resource when someone else has done it already (possibly better than could be done with limited time and money, too) There is a wonderful YouTube resource about sewing on a button, for example!

All of which is my way of saying what a great reason to share what we do! The Gloucestershire VLE (Moodle) is coming together nicely and will be a super place to share all kinds of resources amongst ourselves and our learners. Taking your tutor - or at least, a recording of her demonstration - home with you is one of the huge benefits to learners, too.

I'll answer your question about uploading photos in a separate post because I think it could be of use to others.

sara said...

I plan to check out the 'sewing on a button' video. I had such a wonderful perfectionist of a sewing teacher when I was at school. We had to calculate the length of the shank by measuring the thickness of the fabric we were planning to put the button through! We would then put one, two or three pins through .... no too hard to explain .... needs a video clip!

Gill said...

Here's the link Sara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrSs_DiJ-ZA


I like the way it's aimed at the most likely group of people to need such information.