Friday 27 November 2009

Uploading photos

Lizzie wrote in the previous post, about her difficulties with uploading photos to this blog and sometimes, to Flickr. I have had similar problems in the past and can share one or two thoughts which might be of help.

Firstly, sometimes the photo doesn't upload because of a problem with Blogger - or Flickr - in some remote place, not on your computer. We tend to think that any problem we encounter must be down to something we are doing ourselves and that's not always the case. Web-based services such as these often have problems of their own. You can check if this is the case on their central website - I think there's a link from the Blogger sign in page - where sometimes, they report service interruptions.

Another possible reason is that the file you are trying to upload is too large. If the photos are only to be viewed on screen, then there's no need for them to be anything larger than about 100kb. Next question, how to reduce the file size...(cue Jane Carter-Dunn!)

Another thing could simply be that your own internet connection is busy. Might be worth trying again at a different time of day. Early evening and late afternoon is often the worst time, when all the schoolchildren are home and checking their email and playing games online. Try sometime mid afternoon, perhaps, or early morning.

Of course, you may still have problems....in which case I'm probably no help at all! But of course, I'll always encourage you to keep trying and exercise max patience (something which I find extremely difficult!!)

3 comments:

lizzie g said...

Thanks Gill, I'm going to try again to upload some photos onto Flickr.
Mmm, exercise patience - we wouldn't have got this far without a lot of that, would we?!

sara weaving said...

Joining in on this - my problem has been that when I have a sequence of pictures to upload, I upload them in the order of my choice and then they appear in a different order on 'flickr'. I think it may be to do with how I have labelled them (pictures sorting themselves in alphabetical order maybe), or am I on the wrong track here? I havn't checked this theory yet and would appreciate any other tips re this problem.

Gill said...

Sara, you can reorder your photos in whatever way you like on Flickr. Try exploring the options in "Arrange" or perhaps "sort" and you'll see a few choices.

I think I've dragged and dropped things into place as well.