Friday 17 October 2008

Shockingly I have to admit that I have not posted anything for ages - but reading back through I realise that we have aWest Country contingent growing amongst our contributors.
I was born in Truro and spent my formative years in Tavistock ( explains a lot I suppose) My Mum's family originate from Polperro where we practically populated half the town. I have a smuggler as a great, great, great great grandfather - who was "unfortunately" shot and killed by a cannon ball fired by the Excise men, whilst running from their boats - his boat being loaded with illegal lace, brandy etc. All pretty exciting and swashbuckling!
My Mum, who sadly died recently, had researched our family history and it makes me think about how she used the internet for research and wordprocessed volumes of work - all while in her eighties. My Dad, too is a wizz with all things IT based and loves gadgets of any sort.
My message for the day being - Technology is something that can bridge the generations and is a very accessible medium for all ages.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always thought they should have "Who do you think you are" for those who are not celebrities. What an interesting background. Perhaps we should ask your Dad to roadtest some of our new equipment and give us his views.

Gill said...

I think one of the most memorable outcomes of this dream team project has been the lady in Sara's class who spoke so enthusiastically about her use of technology. She was so proud to be able to make use of the same equipment and websites as her grandchildren and was eager to learn more.

Jane G said...

My Dad would love it - we should give it a go!