Thursday 29 May 2008

The end of the flip chart?


I don't like flipcharts. Well, I suppose they are ok when they are there, ready for use, but because of the kind of teaching I do, in out of the way places not generally equipped for teaching, I often end up struggling with one in my car. Not only is mine heavy, the legs fall out unless they're screwed in really tightly and then I can't undo them. The paper flops about all over the place, unless I take it off and roll it, and then it doesn't lie flat on the easel when I get it out again.

In a discussion about the future of Home Economics Education today, thoughts and comments from the participants were logged on a flipchart by a colleague and I sat, thinking how we could have managed without it.

  1. Almost everyone in that room had a mobile phone which would have a record facilty on it, most likely sound recording, but many would have video capability as well.
  2. I had two cameras in my bag, both of which would record sound and video.
  3. People could have written on post-it notes and we could have photographed the responses
  4. Someone could have sat at the laptop which had been used for a powerpoint presentation earlier in the day and transcribed the comments as they were made

No doubt there were other options available to us as well. We just have to get our minds around new ways of working, many of which are easier and more efficient than what we're used to doing.

If it means I can leave my pesky flipchart at home, then it can't be bad, can it?

What have you done recently which would have been made simpler with a bit of kit? Please share your ideas!

5 comments:

lizzie g said...

This is very thought provoking Gill! I'm not over keen on flip charts, the legs often fall out of mine as well, but using them feels necessary when we teach in village halls and community centres.
I wouldn't want to assume all or even most of my learners brought a mobile phone to class. Myself, I've only recently acquired a mobile phone, and limit its use to keeping in the car when I'm driving at night.
I think the use of post-it notes is a very good one, transcribing the notes to the laptop and then projecting them could work really well.
I have recently started a course with Open University. Part of the learning resources is a DVD. It begins with short video clips of students talking about studying with OU, how they managed balancing work, family and study and got used to the OU system. I found it very useful, nearly as good as meeting other students doing the same course. I thought to myself I would like to make a video made up of short video clips of my Spanish students, talking about what they have learnt about learning a language. In language classes there is usually one or two learners who are very keen to write lists of vocabulary in class, resistant to moving on from how they learnt, or didn't learn, French at school more than a decade ago. It'd be useful to have a short video to be running during break time or to show at the end of the first or second session, a video made up of short clips of people talking about how they've learnt.
My stepson's school in Bristol was one of five that were chosen to research into ways to improve students GCSE grades. He's 16 and is revising using his laptop, watching videos made by his tutors and others specifically for revision. He says it's very useful indeed, he's enjoying revising.
I digress terribly, sorry! It's exciting to think and talk about new ways of working. One of the great things about AdEdInterest is that we can share and spark off ideas, teaching in the community can feel quite lonely otherwise.

Jane CD said...

Am still pondering what I have done recently which would have been easier with a piece of kit. I do agree there are alternatives to a flipchart but when I have one I do like to post the charts around the room and leave them up. That way learners can review topics/discussions etc. Found this useful as a learner when I took a management course last year too.

It's good to hear how technology is being used in secondary education too. Our children have been brought up with all this technology and I think will soon expect to have resources such as the videos your soon is using. I found some useful interactive revision on the web when my daughter was taking her GCSE's a couple of years ago. The BBC has some good interactive revision materials.

Yes what a lonely job being a community tutor can be on occasions - it's great to have virtual friends!

Finally, having looked at your photos and watched your videos I have been inspired to do something creative. So am taking up scrapbooking. Will let you know how I get on - I never think of myself as a very creative (or "crafty") person.

lizzie g said...

That's such good news Jane, I love to hear that people feel inspired! Yes please let us know how you get on.

Ali said...

You should come to the Mimio Training workshop and find out how you could use a mimio instead of a flip chart with wonky legs! All you need is a wall . . . and maybe a couple of sheets of paper at the most!

lizzie g said...

I'd probably come along if I could but I work on Monday. I look forward to hearing about the training and use of the mimio.