Monday 12 May 2008

Use of docucam and projector


Today I used the docucam to show my learners a new stitch, cretan stitch. I'm used to everyone having to gather round to see the demonstration, which is necessary even when using thick thread and a large needle. With 11 learners that's far from ideal. It was the first time for all the learners that they'd been shown a technique using this sort of kit, for most it took a short while to get used to watching the projection rather than straining to watch me. It worked, it was the first time I'd used the kit this way and I can see how I can improve, getting the focus right for example before I begin! I shall also position myself differently in the classroom, sit with the learners rather than infront of them - to project my voice well I was turning to face them then turning to check the projection throughout the demonstration which wasn't ideal. I know it was succesful though because they've asked me to use the kit again the same way when I teach them a new stitch next week.
I did have fabulous cretan stitch wall paper (Gill's great description!) throughout the rest of the session, projecting my sample onto the white sheet on the wall, it was effective, the photo of it is not good enough to post though! I'm now going to add a couple of photos of my learners work to Flickr.
Has anyone else used the laptop to record a demonstration? If you have and it's straight forward, I'd so appreciate some guidelines!

2 comments:

Gill said...

Lizzie, you are absolutely correct in what you say about positioning yourself in the best place - I too have fallen into the trap of sitting in the classic "teachers seat", facing the class and projecting the image behind me - when sitting with the class facing the screen would be so much better for all.

I'm so glad this worked well and that your students appreciated it.

As for doing a dem and recording it - well, start with something simple in the comfort of your own home would be my advice. And don't get disheartened if you can't get it to show back through the laptop and projector because I think there's a problem with some of the laptops which won't playback. Jane C-D is working on it though.

Thanks for sharing today's treasure!

lizzie g said...

Thanks for the warning about the possibilities of getting disheartened Gill, I'll make some time soon and let you know how I get on.
The issue with positioning oneself in the best place, with the learners I agree, is the length of the leads. I have a large class and a nice sized room, I might need to use 2 extension leads!