Friday 16 May 2008

Live from Leicester

Today I am at an e-learning symposium in Leicester with my Ad-Ed laptop and using the wireless network provided can report to you live. The focus of the day is Harnessing Web 2.0 (I'm sure Gill would love it here!). At the morning workshop we looked at Social Networking and Bookmarking. Of course this blog is our own social network but have just looked at a learning network you might like to explore - Ning - see www.ning.com.

The afternoon session covered the use of video. It was good to be reminded that video should be "fit for purpose" and that it isn't necessary to a professionally produced video. We are on the right track with our simple videos.

The second keynote session is in an area we haven't explored - yet! Games Technology and learning.

4 comments:

Gill said...

Ooooh, Jane...games! Looking forward to hearing more ways to keep me sitting at this computer!

Glad you've had a good day and delighted that the technology worked.

Off to have a look at that link now. Thanks for sharing.

Alastair Clark said...

Hi Jane and Gill

(spookily this is also coming from Leicester)

Just as I read your Blog 3 of my NIACE colleasgues came through the door bubbling about today's symposium. Sounds like it was good!

I am just an imposter here on this Blog are we are NIACE were responsible for the LSC funding programme which resourced your kit loan scheme. It seems to have been very successful and lost of other providers are interested in finding out how to make it work for them (as there is more LSC money this year)

Discussions are already underway on the Excellence Gateway.

http://excellence.qia.org.uk/community.aspx?community=51

lizzie g said...

Thanks for that social networking address Jane, I've just joined SpanishDict, for people learning Spanish. I look forward to encouraging my learners to join next term. I'm going back to it now to see if I can find a textiley one!

Gill said...

Funny, Lizzie, I spotted that one and thought of you. I noted down the "i draw and paint" one.

There is so much out there, sites like Ning are a great way of tracking down the useful ones, which can sometimes be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Alastair, it's great to have you with us and as you can see, we are delighted with our kit. Thanks!